practicePRO’s practice aids give you help and practical advice on the steps you can take to lower the risk of a claim and to practice more effectively and efficiently. The practice aids are in a variety of formats, including narrative form, as well as checklists and precedents. All checklists and precedents are available in electronic form so you can download and customize them for your own practice.
- Fraud -Fraud is a real and growing problem for all firms and their staff. Learn about the most common scenarios and how to avoid them
- Better lawyer/client relations -Most claims arise out of fundamental failures in the lawyer/client relationship. Learn how to better understand and manage the critical dynamics of your interaction with clients.
- Dealing with Difficult Clients -Practical tips and advice on how you can better deal with clients: one of the most challenging parts of practising law.
- Elder Law -Learn about the practice challenges and opportunites of an aging clientele
- Better Professional Service -The legal services marketplace is now more competitive then ever. See how you and your firm can meet the challenge of providing superlative client services.
- Electronic Data Security -Protecting the security and confidentiality of electronic documents and data in a law office is as important as keeping paper files secure. Learn about the office management practices and technology you can use to ensure your data is secure.
- e-Discovery -All the electronic data we carry around in computers, PDAs, laptops and memory sticks now has the potential to be evidence in a litigation matter. We’ve gathered the most current e-Discovery reading lists, guidelines, precedents and case law.
- Conflicts of Interest -Conflicts of interest represent a frequent cause of claims made against lawyers. Find out how to better manage this risk by identifying, checking for and managing conflict of interest situations.
- Investing in Clients -The practice of lawyers investing in clients’ businesses is current and growing. Past experience with this type of activity (which includes taking equity positions in the form of shares of stock) has taught us that this practice raises significant issues which need to be managed. Find out about the issues you should consider before engaging in the practice of investing in clients.
- Mentoring -Examine the many different ways in which lawyers mentor, the steps that can be taken to make mentoring relationships work better, and the benefits that flow to lawyers involved in mentoring relationships or firm mentoring programs.
- Practice Finances -Taking an active role in managing the finances of your practice is key to building a successful law practice. Foresight, active planning, appropriate internal controls, and an ongoing review of current finances are critical if your practice is to be successful and profitable.
- Managing Practice Interruptions -Accidents or disasters that have the potential to interrupt or destroy a law practice come in many forms. Foresight, along with some planning and preparation beforehand is critical to minimizing the impact of any accident or disaster, large or small.
- Critical Issues Facing the Profession -we have canvassed several subject matter experts to provide in-depth commentaries on the rapid changes happening to the practice of law in such areas as finances, technology and marketing
Checklists & Precedents
- ILA Checklist -When providing independent legal advice, a checklist provides you with a handy tool to ensure that you are covering all the bases when discussing the underlying transaction and your client’s relationship to that transaction.
- Limitation periods chart -A comparison of limitation and notice periods under new and old limitations legislation
- Retainer Precedents -Precedent documents and retainers in Word, PDF and WordPerfect formats