Law Society of Upper Canada releases Guidelines for Law Offices Searches
The Law Society of Upper Canada has just released an updated version of its Guidelines for Law Office Searches. These Guidelines are intended to inform you of best practices and steps that can be taken to protect the solicitor-client privilege of your clients in the event of a search and seizure of your law office.
Topics covered in the Guidelines include:
- What to do when the police first arrive
- Issues of solicitor-client privilege
- Steps to take when presented with a search warrant
- Search warrants and electronic devices/media
- Steps to take after the warrant has been executed
The execution of a search warrant at a law office is a challenging and stressful event. As a lawyer, you are duty bound to assert and protect the solicitor-client privilege held by all your clients. Consult these Guidelines for helpful and practical advice for dealing with a law office search.